Committee on Vision, 1944-1973
The National Academies Committee on Vision was organized as an offshoot of a committee set up jointly by the Army and Navy in World War II. In early 1944 the Army and Navy, with the assistance of the wartime Office of Scientific Research and Development (OSRD), established the Army-Navy-OSRD Vision Committee in order to investigate problems of vision in relation to military activity. The Committee's headquarters were located at the National Academy of Sciences office building in downtown Washington, DC. With the end of World War II and the consequent disbanding of the OSRD, the Committee was reorganized as the Army-Navy-National Research Council Vision Committee; its mission was essentially unchanged.
The Committee on Vision collection includes correspondence, reports, and meeting minutes, and covers the years 1944-1973 for a span of 10 linear feet.